Tuesday, 26 November 2013

How to Right a Love Scene

I am in the process of watching Merlin BBC. And Arthur and Gwen have not yet gotten married. And Gawaine's hair is awesome.
Sir Gwaine.

Sir Curly locks. (A.k.a Sir Leon)
Okay, bit sidetracked. Anyways…..Gwen and Arthur. Arthur and Gwen. Pheww, glad I got that off my stomach. ("Fish are friends, not FOOD!") 

So, trying to write a love scene on a scale of Cinderella to Gwen and Arthur/ Sibil and Branson. So far it's worse than Katniss and Peeta. :D

So without much ado, I have come up with a list that helped me to write a love scene.

Jordan's guide to How to Right a Love Scene

Step 1: Make it between the right characters! No one likes the love scene between the wrong characters. Since I was using Merlin as an example first, let me use it again. In the episode Lancelot Gwen does that stammering thing with him. (Not that your strange, I mean, funny. She does that a lot...to Arthur. Only Arthur, got that Gwen?! Luckily Lancelot just died. *Evil laugh*) That scene was so wasted in my opinion, I practically dozed. (It was only about 30 seconds, but still) 

Step 2: Don't make it mooshy. Mushy? I don't know. Don't make it mushy. Put it in a random place, like on the middle a battlefield, in the middle of a speech, the middle of something. And then don't do, "Oh Romeo! Where art thou? I love you even though I just danced with you once and then my father kicked you out. Wonder if that's a warning sign...Oh well. Romeo, I love thou!" Don't make them kiss all the way through or say, "Your eyes are the bluest ever" or "Your hair is the fairest." Come on guys! Be a bit more original!

Step 3: Please, please, please make it clean! Nobody likes those gross scenes of inappropriate love that makes you put the book down or skip that whole chapter and any time that character is mentioned. (But make it good, 'cuz no one like to read romance if it doesn't have some way way impossible element. That's why you read, right?)

Step 4: This isn't for a scene, but for the romance bit in general. Make some sort of issue pop up, like the guy is actually a zombie. Or hates/ignores her. But make the ending happy. Look to step one if you need help deciding what a "happy" ending should be.

Now, this list is only what I expect of my love scenes. Of course you could make it unofficially a love scene  or make it sad. Either way, it's your story. 

I also need help, because unfortunately I have no love life, so romance is a foreigner to me. Any suggestions? (Other than getting a boyfriend?) :)

Happy Writing! 
Scarlet 







3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This. is. AWESOME. Jordan, you're so eloquent. x)
    On Step 2, I would have to add, for the sake of the public, don't make your romance so NON-mushy that it's STILL mushy. What I mean when I say that is: don't just suddenly blurt out feelings before a final battle or something. Tote-ahl-lee clee-shay. x)

    As for you, Jordan, and needing help writing romance...hehehe, THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION! x) I'll write a post on how to help non-romance authors and put it up today. (See?! Your blog is so helpful! x))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also...the title of that post should be "write", not "right"...eheh... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I agree with you on Step 2, I just couldn't find the words to say it. So thank you again. Oh, the title. Whoops. Silly absent-minded me. :D

    ReplyDelete