Monday, 9 December 2013

Of Faith and Authors

This is me apologizing for not blogging in about a week. SOOOO…basically, some lovely British friends of ours and I (and Addison) decided to start a blog! Bit of a random idea, really. We were over for dinner and talking about blogging (???) and we had a random idea to start one. :D Go check it out! (I'm Miss Scarlett…which is not based off my pen name, by the way. We did Clue characters.) And Part II of Kill the Man will be out soon…and well yeah.

So onwards we go.

I have a question. Who else was confused about Veronica Roth's faith? She hinted she might be a believer by making Tris and her family pray and believe in God. And when Tris's mom rescues her from the drowning tank thingy, she thinks about God and is glad she didn't shoot some clone/person/sleepwalker. In the acknowledgements, she gives thanks to God for giving her a competent brain.

So is she a Christian? It shouldn't actually be that hard to tell. I mean if you are a Christian you're supposed to...radiate God and his love.

The book had flaws, I will do a review later, gentle readers.

Okay, why did I bring that up? If authors have faith...

1....You tend to idolize whatever they say. So if you find out your favorite author/singer/actor says he/she is a Christian, you are like, "Oh my gosh! So and So is the best person ever. He's a Christian and a celebrity! Blah,blah, blah." They are human too, they are not perfect. But for whatever reason, we make them sound perfect and basically play copycat with them. Yeah, not a good idea.

2....Then there writing is somehow....immediately awesome and that's why they get published. I'm sure there have been tons of Christian authors who have NOT gotten published. If only it was that easy...

3….Their writing is perfect, so we should write our books based on their's. Not going to tell you how many times I've done that…basically just substituted a few words and characters in their book and called it mine…to be fair, I was in second grade.

4….Everyone should love their books. If who and who says, "So and so's books are awful." you say, "Whatever…" Then list reasons why that person's writing is supreme above all else. Concluding with, "And they are a Christian. Is Suzanne Collins? No, I didn't think so."

Btw, substitute all the you's for Scarlet's and yep, that is what I am struggling with most about the Divergent books. (And any book…) This was not meant for anyone but myself. Besides the fact that I am also trying to get my writing to reflect God better. (So far it hasn't really. If anyone else is struggling with that check out this.)

Happy Writing!
Scarlet

No comments:

Post a Comment