All righty now. I have buckled down and I think I can do a review on Divergent by Veronica Roth. Possibly. :)
So the plot is fairly simple, nothing too complex.
Tris lives in a society divided into five factions: Abnegation, selflessness, Amity, kindness, Candor, truth, Erudite, knowledge, and Dauntless, courage. (Each faction is defined by a trait.) Tris lives in Abnegation, but at age 16, you choose to either change factions or stay in your faction. Tris chooses to become Dauntless. But…extra complications make it difficult for Tris to fit in. She is Divergent. The whole system revolves around being able to fit in, to be controlled. Being Divergent means you can't be controlled. Divergents are killed, essentially, or experimented on. But, Tris keeps her Divergency a secret, like she should. She even succeeds in ranking first in her initiation, and is accepted to Dauntless. The rest I will not disclose. :D
So. This book is good. It was written well, it was entertaining, it was suspenseful. It had good romance, vivid characters, and a good (ish) ending.
The bad part? It didn't really have an overall message. (Well, not that I could tell) The Hunger Games, war is bad is clearly the message. Eragon, you gotta do what you gotta do, even if it's hard. Inkheart, the grass is always greener on the other side. I suppose you could say that Divergent's message is don't fit in.
That's about it, that I could think of.
Another thing. I hate it when people say, "Divergent is just like the Hunger Games."
Besides the fact that they both star a female who has to make several choices, I do not see the comparison.
Sometimes people argue the fact that they didn't fit in, didn't conform.
Alright. Tris didn't conform. Katniss did.
Think about it, Katniss was against the Capitol, and when picked for the games, did exactly what they wanted her to do, kill people. Sure, she was slightly rebellious, but not until the third book.
Sorry, the Hunger Games and Divergent are not even comparable.
I apologize for the hater's rant.
Happy Writing!
Scarlet
YUSSS. What do you mean you couldn't write a good review? This hits HOME. #rage
ReplyDeleteOh, well, I try! :)
ReplyDelete