Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Short Story 0003: Plan A - Part 2

Yes, this post is very overdue. Very. Like two months overdue. Sorry. But hey, it’s ready, right? That’s what really matters, eh? This is the (maybe) finishing part for ‘Plan A’ (Part 1)  So, sparing you more pointless chit-chat, I will proceed.

*********

So, here I am inside a castle with two aliens trying to kill me and Aj. Not to mention a very skinny man laughing sardonically in the background. And through this whole thing, Captain Olliver is presumably sitting outside the door, waiting to catch any escapers. So not helpful right now. To top this whole pickle off, Cleo is statically shouting in my ear. 

-----

Despite my best efforts, Aj, Olliver, and I have been captured by Mr. Leer. Swell. Cleo has long since stopped making any sense, except the part about, “Young lady, Mr. Conners will hear about this! I swear he will hear about THIS!” And then I tuned her out. Or my earpeice fell out. 

After Mr. Leer confronted us with the two aliens, Aj and I put up a strong fight. By strong I mean, Aj hacking randomly and I trying to smooth talk my way out. Not such a good mix. And then there is Ollie. Ollie decides to save us. By save, I mean stick to the back up plan: Retreat for help. An alien caught him and brought him up, with him swearing like there was no tommorrow. 

Between Aj and I’s different strategies to fighting, we managed to get captured within ten minutes after Ollie. So much for being super human Plan A’s. 

“Now, children,” Mr. Leer said, stroking his sparce goatee, “why…”
“‘Scuse me, Mr, but we are not children. I believe the word your looking for is adult." It amazes me how Aj can have such lip when we are literally, at his mercy. I say mercy, I mean, his jurisdiction. I don't think he has mercy.

"Fine." He spat out. "Adults, why are you here?"
"Uh, Mr. Head-honcho, you already know why we're here."
"Yes." He talks like we are children just learning to add, or something. "Why are you here?"
"We are here to stop an alien invasion. We got a tip from your neighbor. He thought you might be working against us, or with the aliens." I say quickly, before Ollie or Aj makes up some lie.
"Ah, I'll be sure to think him." He plastered a fake smile on his face. "So, adults. What is it you wanted to do?"
"Stop you." He stares at me, as if deciding if I'm telling the truth. Then he stands up. He motions to his aliens. Ollie and Aj are carried out of the room, leaving me and Mr. Leer. Brilliant. just what I was hoping wouldn't happen.

Instead of drawing a sword though, he just picks up a file folder. He hands it to another alien servant, who takes it out the door and presumable far away from the castle.

For hours I sit there, being examined by Mr. L through a security camera. I do my best to glare at it. (“If only Aj were here, he could master it perfectly,” I thought to myself) Finally, I grew bored of staring down a camera and turned to the window. I saw something dash past it.

Then the alarms went off. Suddenly three aliens melted into view. Mr. Leer brushed through the door and with one swipe cut my bonds. Before I could launch myself into the aliens, or better yet Mr. L, he had me by the ear and without slowing his pace drug me through the yard and into his helicopter. Ollie and Aj were already there.

“Hey,” I muttered, rubbing my ear.
“Hey yourself,” Ollie retorted, staring at me in a glaring manner. “He had you by the ear. The ear, Fox. Really, you couldn’t just twist away, and go scamper to get help. Sheesh.”
“For your information, my ear is very special to me. So thank you very much, I chose to keep it by not twisting out of his grip.”
“Guys, I don’t think this is our top priority right now. So Ollie thinks you should have sacrificed your ear. You chose not to. And hey-ho, don’t forget we have an alien invasion planned in 01 hours!” Aj said with false joviality.
"Besides," I say, "Cleo and the team are already here. You didn't hear the alarms?"
"Uh…we were kind of, not paying attention."
"Yeah, just leave it at that, okay?"

For another minute we sit there, helicopter still on the ground, Mr. Leer pacing, biting his fingernails. Finally, he snaps.

"Why are we not moving, Murray?"
"Uh, sir, there seems to be some sort of technological issue. We'll, er, have to call in a professional, I'm afraid."

Mr. L lets out a grumble, half human, half animal.

"Never mind."

Then it goes black.

**********

I don't know why this guy loves knocking us out, because you'd think that he'd loose his interest after the millionth time. Obviously not. When we wake up, we are strapped to chairs, staring at screens, controls in our hands.

Mr. Leer is leering at us from the back.

"Children-"
"Adults, thank you very much. Perhaps you could call us by our names, eh? That's not so hard, is it."
"Fine," He spits out, his smile shrinking, "What are your names, then?"
"Carson, Sarah, and John."
"Nice to meet you, Aj, Fox, and Captain Oliver."

Ollie and I turn to glare at Aj. He shrugs his shoulders apologetically.

"Now then, Aj, Fox, and Oliver. You are about to become the first ever human-aliens, a breed I call Leerdons."
"Whoah….hold it ten minutes. Step back twenty feet and…What do you mean, Leerdons?! Sure that will inspire terror. You need something like….The Evilly Elaborate Maniac Asylumers. Asylumers…people who live at asylums. Oh, or TEEMA for short."
"Regardless of what they are called, they will be you."
"Then I should have a say in what I'm called. TEEMA sounds good to me."

Mr. Leer pauses, clearly annoyed, before continuing. "Fine…TEEMA it will be. Leerdon TEEMA. But to the point, your minds will be replicated into ten TEEMA. Your mind will control them. I'm sure you see how that works, eh?"

I gulp. So this is how the mighty Fox dies, turned into the first ever TEEMA.

Suddenly the loud speaker blares.

"Mr. Leer," a nasally voice says, "you are needed at control center 0023."

He storms out, leaving us to divine our fate. Aj speaks first.

"Hey I've been wondering. What is your real name? It can't really be Fox, can it?"
"No…it's not really Fox. Fox is my middle name. My name is actually Kate." I pause, "what about you, Aj? What's your real name?"
"Oh, nothing."
"Yeah, when you say it's nothing, that means there it is something." Oliver interrupts.
"Fine. It's…um…it's Tyler."
"Oh. Can I call you Ty?"
"Sure, why not, babes?" We both smiled.
"Hamish."
"What?" I ask Ollie.
"Oliver Hamish Knoll. If your looking for baby names."

I just stare at him. Aj starts laughing, and Ollie cracks a wider smile, if that's possible. Not for the first time I am at loss for words. Here we are, about to be converted to aliens and Oliver and Aj...ahem, Ty, are cracking stupid jokes.

"So, Captain Oliver…how old are you?"
"Ah. You think I'm too immature to be a captain, eh?"
"Well, er, to put it simply, yes."
"24. A whopping 24."

It was meant as a joke, but suddenly it makes us all think. We are all so young, about to have our lives taken, and turned into aliens….

"Sorry to keep you waiting, TEEMA."
"Oh, finally. I thought up another acronym thing. "Leer Aliens Masking Aliens" LAMA, eh?"

By now Mr. L has on a look of annoyance, tired annoyance.

"Or, "The Devi's Aliens" TDA. "Ripping Eating Aliens" REA. "Carnivorous -"
"Enough!" Mr. L stands up, holding his head. "Just. Shut. Up. Now. Carol!"

A figure opens the door, as Mr. L tells her:

"Take care of them. If they do not come out, I'm blaming you. I'm sure you don't want to meet my boss."

He sweeps out of the room, leaving Carol in charge of us. Maybe she has feelings.

Carol slowly approaches us, staying in the shadows. Then she jumps out right in front of us, a smile on her face.

"Hiya! My, my. Got into a bit of a pickle, eh? Haha, that's a good one. In a bit of a pickle!" She proceeds to laugh, flitting around, never staying still.

Suddenly I find we are somehow able to move again. Next thing I know, I'm sitting in a car, speeding down the drive, past the guards, and into freedom.

Two hours later, I wake up from a much needed sleep. The scenery has changed to city. We are parked in front of a industrial looking compound.

"Flight leaves in two hours. Sorry I had to take the long way round, ya know, in case someone was following us. Oh, hi dear. Hurry, you'll be late. Oh," she calls out to us as we step out of the car, "Terminal 5. See ya!"

With that she backs the car out and speeds off, leaving me, Ty, and Oliver standing outside of London Heathrow Airport, Terminal 5. What happens next is blur.

I find myself on a flight to Houston, seated comfortably in business class, eating food, watching movies.

Then I'm whirled into a cab, yawing, as I am driven to a small house in the suburbs. Someone stands outside the door, waiting for us, it seems.

I'm put in a room right beside the boy's room.

The next morning I'm up at four. We eat a breakfast of American eggs and bacon. I'm just starting to wonder how there can be suburbs and all if New Haven is the only safe place, when the man waiting outside strides in.

"Children, welcome to the last remaining Haven."

To save the boring details, after the aliens attacked, several Haven's were set up. Only New Haven, located in England, survived. Or so it seemed. Turns out Plan A is far more diverse than I thought. I am not the only Plan A. I am the second, but not the only one. Plan A has thirty Havens. Each Haven has two.

There are sixty other Plan A's.

Oliver informs us he knew of this, Aj and I stare blankly.

Something isn't right. That's when I here about Plan B. Apparently, Plan A is not what it seems. After a two hour speech summing it all up for us, I'm ready to join.

"Children," the man says, "Welcome to Plan B.”



******

I’m sorry, but I just don’t think this part was as good as the first. And I kind of meant to not use these characters again, but hey, for lack of a better ending…Ladies and gents, I guess there is now going to be a short story Plan B. :D

But I must say, at least it’s all done, hot off the press, eh?

So since I didn’t really talk at the beginning of the post, I’ll catch up at the end. (And there is a perfect example of my logic…:D) 

Uh, well now I feel pressured to say something really interesting…so, er, Saturday we have no band! Exciting, huh? :) But we have a uth movie night. So that actually is exciting. 

But I just want to point out that I once again used a song to get me through. :) Sorry, got no link, but the  song is Two Weeks by Grizzly Bears. 

So, that’s about it, except I went to see an Imax movie today. Guys, just a warning if you are going to see one anytime soon, IT REALLY HURTS YOUR EYES! They start watering like there is no tomorrow.

But, eh, anything to watch a movie on a school day! :D

Happy Writing!
Scarlet





2 comments:

  1. Nice job.

    Grizzly Bears remind me of Morrissey a little bit, nice sound, great voice.

    If you like Sci Fi you might like William Gibson. Neuromancer is his first and is considered a classic as it opened up a sub-genre now called cyberpunk. Fast and intertwined story lines with a lot of action and high-tech-meets-biology toys. One of his first short stories was made, loosely, into a movie you may have seen - Johnny Mnemonic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I'll be sure to check those out! :D

    ReplyDelete