Tuesday, 8 October 2013

The Dead Earth: Prologue.


 “Is the experiment ready?” A well-known voice echoed through the sterile white halls of Hūmian Protection Laboratory.
“Sir, of course it is.” There was a pause. “What’s more, I’ve been there, lived there, conquered it, prepared it for Group 3.” There was no mistaking the pride in the Russian’s voice.
“Impressive, I must admit. But the real question here is, will it be ready for me? Will it be safe for me?” There was a silence so long and heavy the President turned away, whatever hope he had lost. When the scientist replied, it was in a voice so solemn and low the President strained to make out the words.
“No. Not yet. One more group.” The President, who had kept his temper, now swore loudly at the scientist, causing several cameras to swivel in their direction.
“I gave you two groups, and now you demand another? The people are revolting, Berlin. It doesn’t matter to them that the world is burning. It doesn’t matter that our country are the only ones left. The only ones! No one but us on this dead planet, and they complain that we are taking their children. It doesn’t seem to matter that the children will be dead if we don’t do anything about it! You are going to explain to the people what Gālian is and why they need to let us use their children. One more year, Berlin, one more year is all I can give you.  We may be in before then though, so keep it safe, Berlin, keep it safe.” The president apparently was finished, because he walked out, clutching the precious documents labeled: “Experiment 56: Gālian.”
Berlin turned toward the door concealing the room holding his masterpiece, his kingdom. Out of his lab coat pocket, he pulled out a rusty key, dating back thousands of years. It’s been too long since I’ve ruled my kingdom. He thought. The President hates me, the world’s crumbling; what better time to escaped but now? Goodbye Hūmian, hello Gālian. With that he walked to the door, ready to return to his kingdom.                    
                                                                                     

                        ************************************

    I know, you probably already turned off the computer, or at least fallen asleep. It's all the same stuff you've read before: Mysterious conversations, a dying earth, an evil scientist, a Russian, and an angry President. I tried to make it mysterious and suspenseful, you can decide for yourself if I succeeded. My next chapter may be out quite soon, in about a week or two.  Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed! 

2 comments:

  1. Even if it was stereotypical (which maybe it was a little...depending on how you look at it), it was a WELL-DONE stereotype. :D I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. XD Some adventure plots never get old, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh..Thanks! I have started almost every story I write like this...I probably shouldn't do that anymore...:)

    ReplyDelete