Sunday, 13 October 2013

Review 0002: Inkheart

I usually stick to fantasy, so this book was out of my comfort zone. Inkheart holds some subliminal element that makes it addicting. Well to me, anyway. Inkheart is a classic good versus evil plot, with the villain of the year: Basta. (Capricorn is too...distant from the story to be the best villain.)

A girl gets whisked up into her very own story when a mysterious Dustfinger arrives at her house. (Meggie and her father are book-aholics)Traveling to her Aunt Elinor's house, Mo (her father who she loves to the moon) is kidnapped by Basta and some other thugs. Meggie, Elinor, and Dustfinger go to Capricorn's village, where Mo was taken. Meggie learns Mo can read things to life out of a book, like Dustfinger, Capricorn, and Basta, who he read out of Inkheart. The price though, is someone disappears into the story. Meggie's mother disappeared into Inkheart after Capricorn, Basta, and Dustfinger came out.
 After escaping from Caps' village, Mo goes in search of Fenoglio, the author of Inkheart, to look for another copy of Inkheart. After a turn of events, Meggie is captured, AGAIN, but this time with the author Fenoglio. Meggie discovers books hidden under her mattress in her prison cell, and begins to read aloud, hoping she inherited her father's gift. Unfortunantly, she had. A small Tinker Bell arrived on the scene after Meggie reads her out, and Basta figures out Meggie is blessed with the "Silvertongue." Capricorn is going to use Meggie, or rather her voice to read out the Shadow out of Inkheart. The Shadow will destroy anything in it's path, and win Cap the earth. It's like the Destroyer in Thor. But Fenoglio rewrites the paragraph when the Shadow first appears in the book, making the Shadow literally disentagrate and Capricorn melt. Finally Mo, Meggie, and Resa the story continues in Inkspell.

Though the book ends all happy and sparkly, that was not the message in the book. So what did I not like about it? The gruesomeness of the book was the big one. A child, getting kidnapped and mistreated? *shivers* Another is Elinor. Elinor rocks, no questions asked. But, she did curse WAY to much. "Bloody" was her favorite, which after coming to England, that's one I hear daily on the tube, so I guess now I'm accustomed to. But before then, I would cringe every time I read it. I mean, come on Cornelia Funke! It's a children's book! Yeah well... Inkheart also was a bit terrifying. My worst fear is that a kidnapper will break into the house. Basta breaking into Meggie's house? Heart-stopping. As I said earlier, it's a children's book.

Other than that, the book was positive. Good wins, but evil escapes (evil can be used synonymously with Basta) Meggie is endearing, Mo is awesome, and Resa comes back. Perfect. A great villain is defeated, and all's well that ends well, right? The plot keeps you entranced till you can't bear it, and the characters are real. (Right now Fenoglio is walking down the hallway, making a sassy remark.)

But what of the author, Cornelia Funke, you might be asking. Well, uh, I don't like her other books that much. Dragon Rider? Forget it. Thief Lord? Not that great. But, without a doubt, Inkheart is one of my favorite books.

Happy Writing!
J.M

P.S- did any one else hate who they got to play Capricorn in the movie. *raises hand then slowly withdraws it when I see I'm the only one who agrees* *sighs* I hate being the only one with questions. I mean, in Algebra, I am almost the only one who has questions. I don't know what that says about me, but...Thanks, Faith, for having questions too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment