“Soldier, snap out of it!”
There was such a tone of authority that I obeyed, and for once I was fully
aware of my surroundings. Little details stood out to me: the morning dawning,
a butterfly landing on a blossoming flower, the sun climbing into the sky. All
around me were new beginnings, and now, I was in for a new beginning. The City
was in for a new beginning. Gālian was in for a new beginning. And I would
bring that new beginning. I would rebel.
Not the most original, but interesting. (I hope.) Here is what it's like at 12:00 at night.
"Snap out of it!" I obeyed without question, and noticed where I actually was. The morning was beginning, the flowers were blooming, and the sun was rising. Everything was beginning, and Gālian was in for a new start. The City was in for a new start, as was I. I would rebel, rise up and conquer Gālian, and free it from it's bonds.
Okay. So which is better? It is a matter of opinion, but hopefully you liked the first better. That's because I wasn't hitting the repeat button. When I hit the repeat button, all creativity is shut off, and all my sentences sound the same.
"How are you?" I asked.
"Good. How are you?" He replied.
"Good."
"Are you good? Or just OK?"
"Good. I'm fine."
Or:
The sun rose on the green mountain. The green grass grew out as weird angles. Trees grew upwards, throwing their green branches to the sky. People walked around. Animals walked the streets. All around me, the town was coming to life. People spread out their wares, and buyers spread out their money. The town was awake.
That is what hitting the repeat button does. Notice green is used to describe all the foliage? If I had wanted to convey that the town was green, it would have been fine. But since I only used it to describe foliage, it was wasted. The sentences were short and didn't flow. If you hit the repeat button, you use the same length sentences and the same words.
Now why am I telling you this? Because I have been hitting the repeat button. I am working on Part II of Seven Days, and I noticed I used suddenly and quickly way to much. My sentences all sounded the same:
"Clara stood up, unwilling to move."
"Clara looked out the window, unsure of what she'd find."
They all follow the same form: Independent clause and a dependent clause. Ughh....three pages had to be completely rewritten. I'm going to cry...
An hour later:
*sniffling* Hi guys. *sniffles* I'm back.
Back to hitting the repeat button. I found a genius way to fix hitting the repeat button. Here is my serum:
Step 1. Watch funny Youtube videos. My favorites are Blimey Cow and HISHE. Speaking of Blimey Cow, if you are a homeschooler suffering from Hitting-the-repeat-button syndrome, click here.(Warning! If you are not a homeschooler don't click the link! ONLY if you are homeschooled.) If you laugh or forget about your project, chances are you will be able to stop hitting the repeat button.
Step 2. Listen to Music. Music is what makes the world go round. Next to love of course. Find your favorite song, and shout the lyrics! *sings "Things We Lost in the Fire" very badly* "Things weeee lost, to the fla-a-a-m-e-sss, things we'll n-e-e-v-v-e-e-r-r s-e-e-e-e again, all that w-e-e-e-e-e amas-s-ed sits before us, s-s-h-h-a-a-t-e-r-e-e-d into ash, (Faster tempo) these are the things, the things we lost, the things we lost in the fire, fire, fire, (Repeat) (I won't sing the whole song to you, but click here to hear it.)
Step 3. Watch BBC. For those of you with Netflix, search "Doctor Who: Doomsday". I guarantee you will be crying at the end. *sniffles* Or if you like adventure, watch "Sherlock". You'll feel way smarter if you can keep up with him. Besides, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman? I couldn't resist. Or if you like magic, find "Merlin." Just watch BBC!! You could even watch the five hour Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. I don't care. Just. Watch. BBC!! I am done with my rant. *deep breathes*
Step 4. Ride the subway or train. It doesn't have to be far, just a stop or two. On the train, make up stories about the people you see, making no effort to stop hitting the repeat button. By the time you return to your worst enemy the computer, your hitting the repeat button syndrome will have disappeared.
Step 5. If the previous steps haven't helped, then.... Watch Downton Abbey Season 2 episodes 7 and 8. Sybil and Branson....Don't get me started. I promise you will fall in love. And voila, your syndrome of hitting the repeat button is done. Problem solved!
You can also use these steps to exterminate Daleks, er, no...where was I? Oh yes, to exterminate writer's block.
Keep writing!
J.M
"Snap out of it!" I obeyed without question, and noticed where I actually was. The morning was beginning, the flowers were blooming, and the sun was rising. Everything was beginning, and Gālian was in for a new start. The City was in for a new start, as was I. I would rebel, rise up and conquer Gālian, and free it from it's bonds.
Okay. So which is better? It is a matter of opinion, but hopefully you liked the first better. That's because I wasn't hitting the repeat button. When I hit the repeat button, all creativity is shut off, and all my sentences sound the same.
"How are you?" I asked.
"Good. How are you?" He replied.
"Good."
"Are you good? Or just OK?"
"Good. I'm fine."
Or:
The sun rose on the green mountain. The green grass grew out as weird angles. Trees grew upwards, throwing their green branches to the sky. People walked around. Animals walked the streets. All around me, the town was coming to life. People spread out their wares, and buyers spread out their money. The town was awake.
That is what hitting the repeat button does. Notice green is used to describe all the foliage? If I had wanted to convey that the town was green, it would have been fine. But since I only used it to describe foliage, it was wasted. The sentences were short and didn't flow. If you hit the repeat button, you use the same length sentences and the same words.
Now why am I telling you this? Because I have been hitting the repeat button. I am working on Part II of Seven Days, and I noticed I used suddenly and quickly way to much. My sentences all sounded the same:
"Clara stood up, unwilling to move."
"Clara looked out the window, unsure of what she'd find."
They all follow the same form: Independent clause and a dependent clause. Ughh....three pages had to be completely rewritten. I'm going to cry...
An hour later:
*sniffling* Hi guys. *sniffles* I'm back.
Back to hitting the repeat button. I found a genius way to fix hitting the repeat button. Here is my serum:
Step 1. Watch funny Youtube videos. My favorites are Blimey Cow and HISHE. Speaking of Blimey Cow, if you are a homeschooler suffering from Hitting-the-repeat-button syndrome, click here.(Warning! If you are not a homeschooler don't click the link! ONLY if you are homeschooled.) If you laugh or forget about your project, chances are you will be able to stop hitting the repeat button.
Step 2. Listen to Music. Music is what makes the world go round. Next to love of course. Find your favorite song, and shout the lyrics! *sings "Things We Lost in the Fire" very badly* "Things weeee lost, to the fla-a-a-m-e-sss, things we'll n-e-e-v-v-e-e-r-r s-e-e-e-e again, all that w-e-e-e-e-e amas-s-ed sits before us, s-s-h-h-a-a-t-e-r-e-e-d into ash, (Faster tempo) these are the things, the things we lost, the things we lost in the fire, fire, fire, (Repeat) (I won't sing the whole song to you, but click here to hear it.)
Step 3. Watch BBC. For those of you with Netflix, search "Doctor Who: Doomsday". I guarantee you will be crying at the end. *sniffles* Or if you like adventure, watch "Sherlock". You'll feel way smarter if you can keep up with him. Besides, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman? I couldn't resist. Or if you like magic, find "Merlin." Just watch BBC!! You could even watch the five hour Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. I don't care. Just. Watch. BBC!! I am done with my rant. *deep breathes*
Step 4. Ride the subway or train. It doesn't have to be far, just a stop or two. On the train, make up stories about the people you see, making no effort to stop hitting the repeat button. By the time you return to your worst enemy the computer, your hitting the repeat button syndrome will have disappeared.
Step 5. If the previous steps haven't helped, then.... Watch Downton Abbey Season 2 episodes 7 and 8. Sybil and Branson....Don't get me started. I promise you will fall in love. And voila, your syndrome of hitting the repeat button is done. Problem solved!
You can also use these steps to exterminate Daleks, er, no...where was I? Oh yes, to exterminate writer's block.
Keep writing!
J.M
This is cool! I like what you have. And I'm totally with you on watching the BBC, or riding the subway. Best for clearing your head :-) Looking forward to reading more!
ReplyDeleteOh, thanks! BBC gets to me every time. (Don't get me started on Stephan Moffat) What do you do for writer's block or hitting the repeat button?
ReplyDeleteGaaahhh! I AGREE SO MUCH!!! XD I didn't read through this post; I laughed through it. :D Well-said, Jordan, well-said indeed. :D
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, thanks Clove! I would love to hear what you do for hitting the repeat button! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thewingsofmywords.blogspot.com/2013/08/writing-writing-writing-then.html
ReplyDeleteThis is an older post I did on Writer's Block, my equivalent of Hitting the Repeat Button. :D
I enjoyed that one! I will try those, cause sometimes BBC lets me down. I cry my head off and then I'm no better than before. My writing is then filled with, "Stephen Moffat tears out your heart!" If you can't tell, Stephen Moffat breaks my heart daily. *sigh* Thanks for the alternative. "Hahaha, Stephen Moffat! Move over! No need for you to break my heart just to get me out of writer's block!"
ReplyDelete