Sunday, 13 April 2014

Hello, goodbye

Hello, Internet-ies! I recently have had a rather, er, sad trip to Windsor Castle. :\ It was freezing cold. Freezing. Now, if everyone hadn’t have worn light coats we might have been happier, but, hey. :) And we had to wait in long lines for everything. Everything. But, aside from that, it was awesome! The castle was whole and still nice. (Surprisingly...) and the shopping was awesome. (I asked almost all of my friends what they liked best about Windsor. The answer? Shopping. :D) But, as is the case when I travel, I will have a short story out about Windsor. :)

Anyhow....

So this is a bit random, but I have this problem, which has before been mentioned. I am impatient. No joke, totally impatient in planning and making introductions of the characters.

And, usually due to my impatience, I often rush into the climax after about two-three chapters. Not good. Based on personal experience, here are some tips I came up with to slow down, add detail, etc.

1. Listen to music

Music is one of my favorite things in the world. Even though I can't create it at all, I can listen to it. Listening to music really helps you to slow down. Use it as a timer even, if there is need. Here are some songs I like to use as timers:

-Oblivion by Bastille
-Carrizs by Bibio (Wordless for about two minutes of the song)
-Sarah by Diplo (Wordless until last 30 seconds. I recommend skipping over the lyrics though)
-Cheap Sunglasses by RAC
-Best Day of My Life by American Authors
-The Man by Aloe Blacc
-Mirror Maru by Cashmere Cat (Wordless)

And I just found a streaming music site that lets you find song without words. (This is a good station for writing, writing blocks, etc. But it also has some other great stations, not just this one. :)) http://8tracks.com/seatosky/read-write-repeat

2. Set a goal

Important, important. Besides music, I use chapters as a timer. For instance, in chapter 10 this and this might happen. That way I don't rush into the climax or whatever.

3. Fill 'er up!

In number 2, I said I set goals. So lets say I'm being my usual derpty derp self and am stuck on Chapter 9 and just want to get to Chapter 10. So now lets add detail. I find the easiest way for me is to do descriptions, but there's only so many descriptions I can put in a chapter. Assuming I want all my chapters to be five-ten pages long, after adding as many descriptions as I can, I need more details. This is what I then love to do: shock of all shocks, plan!

I go back, and since I know what the climax will be, put in little hints, circumstances, and conflicts that lead to the climax. This, like descriptions, can get heavy, so I can only put in about two-three of these gems.

Other than that, I just add in more experiences. Make her meet another character, let the character go have fun. If you need even more things: change your point of view. Focus on a character who might join her later, might turn out to be the villain.

****

So that's it! Perhaps it helped, perhaps it didn't. But, my story, er, well...I've finished eight chapters, but unfortunately, as is the case with writing sprees, I expended all my creative juices for a while, at least on that story, so it might be some time before you hear about it again. :) Since I can't go without writing though, I was thinking of doing a story from a villain's point of view. Any comments?

Happy Writing!
Scarlet




No comments:

Post a Comment