Friday, 3 January 2014

Short Story 0003: Plan A - Part I

A few weekends ago I went on a family daytrip to Leeds Castle. (Before Thanksgiving, but this story was harder to work out.) Which, if you were wondering, is nowhere in Leeds. Just one of the many perks to having trains that take you everywhere in the UK. So anyways, Addison will hopefully have a post about our time up on her blog soon. (Addisoninthecity.blogspot.com, I have a link to it near the archive) But this story is the result of a foggy day, a good song, and a little bit of Jenny from Doctor Who. (Yes, both Jennys.) (Click here for the song…get into it first. Really good song to inspire you if you are at a lack for ideas, at least to me. Plus, Drops in the River and Sun It Rises are really good too. And Onwards! from DW)

******************

My heart pounds as I slip behind a green bush. I pant heavily as I wait for him to return. The eerie fog encapsulates the castle, and hidden inside, my target. Mr. Leer. I hear the shout of black-clad men as they hopelessly scour the horizon. Hopeless idiots. It's just rained, doncha know? For once I was glad for the cover the fog afforded me. After my breathing has returned to normal and the men have moved on, I begin to wonder about him. 

"Come on!" I murmer almost impercebtibly into the foggy air. I peer out from behind the bush, my sword at the ready. The only light that pierces the fog comes from his study. Perfect. I can feel a smug smile spread across my face. Rule 1: the good guys are always the dumbest. Rule 2: the bad guys always have a Plan B. Rule 3: Plan B's are for cowards. Rule 4: Plan A always wins. I silently went over the rules drilled into me since the day I arrived at Plan A's HQ. 

I was Plan A. He was Plan A. We are Plan A. And none else are Plan A. Because none else can talk to the dead. Or come back from the dead. Again, and evil smile filled my face. But it was dampered by the fact that he had not returned. 

A hand clasped my mouth, quieting my scream. A lock of hair fell into my face. I inhaled. No scent. A low voice whispered in my ear: "Miss me?" The hand fell away, presumably to fix his hair. I whirled around. He was here.

In his black bodysuit, identical to mine, and with his athletic build, he wasn't bad looking. Especially when he removed his mask, as he did now. His shoulder length brown hair and dark brown eyes added to his good looks. He knew I thought he wasn't bad looking, and always gave me a flirtatious smile. I hated that smile. 

Following his example, I pulled of my mask. My straight black hair fell past my shoulders. I had inherited my mothers green eyes, and my fathers build. Wiry, agile, and thin. The brawn was not my division, strategy and guile was. 

"You didn't clear the courtyard of his goons!" He snapped.
"Yeah, well. Not my division." I could see he was holding in his temper. Strong and fiery tempered, that's him. Cool and agile, that's me."Look, we need to get in, kill him, and get out. Simple. See you on the other side!" I waved at him in fake merriment, then disappeared into the fog.  I let the fog wrap its arms around me, enveloping me in its dense embrace. There was no escaping it.

Suddenly I became aware of a rapid beeping, at first quiet then growing louder. I dug into my suits pocket, pulling out a small device. I pressed a button, and the beeping stopped. A muffled voice began talking from the device, so I put it in my ear.

"Finally!" A loud voice said. It was smacking it’s lips at double the pace she talked.
"That, Foxy, is why you are not in charge. You would never be in touch. And are you chewing gum again, Cleo? I hate that. Last time my eardrums almost popped, no pun intended." I hate him so much. Doesn't he know that contact with others is for cowards?! And puns. 
"Oh poor wittle Aj's delicatle wittle ears are gonna pop. You poor wittle thing!" I put on my most patronizing voice.
"So. What's up?" The other voice interjected.
"Nothing, just...Aj over there is having a mental break down."
"Oh, not even, you are just...being all macho lady over there, and I'm trying to save your skin, and..."
"Sorry to interupt this fascinating conversation, but ya both got a job to do. Remember? Yeah, that job you have. Fox, have the target?" I grunted my affirmation. "Good," she continued, "Aj, distraction please. And try not to kill any guests. The last time the police nearly shut us down. Oh, and good luck."

Luck? Ha! Luck is for cowards. I thought. Continuing to let the fog hide me, I crept to the castles outer wall.

Right, plan. Climb up. Knock out gaurds to spite Aj. Jump to second floor story window. Cut hole above study. Cerimoniously drop in. Bingo.

I swiftly slung the sword over my shoulder and searched the surface for handholds. Smooth as a babies back side. Not a problem. I reconnected my ear piece.

"Aj, need...."
"Oooohh! Fox asked for help! Must be some predicament."
"Cleo."
"Yeah?"
"Shut up."
"K."
"Aj?"
"Yeah, babes, bit busy. You know, duty calls."
"Wait, do you mean your duty to Plan A or ya know, duty as in well releiving yourself? Cuz that would be disgusting. Especially when your on the job." Cleo interuppted.
"Now that you mention it, both." I could almost see his smile over the audio. "As I said, a bit busy."

Fine. I'll fix this myself. No plants or shrubbery of any kind was planted near the wall. No choice but to put all that gym training to use.

I presses my back against the wall, calling out as I did so. I heard a scuffling of boots and shouts. So far so good. A head appeared over the wall. I launched myself up, grabbing at the guard. He stumbled back then ran for reinforcements as he shouted. Instantly men appeared at the wall.

“Surrender or die!”
“I have a sword and I will use it if need be, young lady!”
“Oi! You there, no trespassin’! Scram!”

I didn’t move, but breathed silently. Quietly, so as not to catch their attention, I slunk towards the ramp leading up to the main drive. I made it without any incidents, but I knew I coudln’t make it to the castle without being seen. So I improvised.

The fog was less dense up on the wall, so my cover was lost. Other than surprise attacks, intimidation  was the best call.

I strapped my sword to my waist and stood up straight.

Two gaurds walked toward me, laughing and chatting until they saw me. They stopped as they caught sight of my sword. Let me explain how swords work.

If you are a man wearing a sword, it's no biggy. Every man wears one now.

If you see a sword on a woman, it's because they are mentally unstable and think they are a man or something. And mentally unstable means that they are going to kill you in some gruesome way, and walla! They are scared to death. Bingo.

This time was no exception. I managed to kill them without much difficulty.

After I killed them, I ran up the curved drive and up the the castle door, barely making a sound. Light and quick, small and quiet. Light and quick, small and quiet. In my head I ran over my personal reminder: Light and quick, small and quiet.

I tried the front door. Locked. I felt a smile creep over my face. I had a plan. I cut into the radio Cleo was listening to.

"Cleo, connect me to Aj."
"Must be hard out there. Second time today! Hahahaha!"
"Cleo, don't be clever. It doesn't suit you."
"Well, babe, need a wittle rescuing from some goons. Damsel in distress, eh?"
"Ah, you know, the only reason I would be trapped by some goons is if someone didn't kill them. But, no, I got them for you. Just try harder to maintain your job. Wouldn't want someone else stepping in for you! Oh, and while you not trying to lose your job, lock all the windows and doors. Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to do."

I cut the connection. I always have the last word. I double checked the front door was locked, then dashed off. I was standing below a ten foot high window. I began sweating in the cold air. My heart began pounding like it always did when I put my life in the hands of the Dead. I needed to calm down. Cleo had advised me to go over my name or something, but I went over my plan.

Jump to window. Drop down into study. Bingo. It's show time. 

I shut my eyes tight, so tight green and yellow splotches appeared. I reached into the darkest corner of my mind, where all my thoughts of cruelity, killing, and pain resided. The darkest part of my mind. The darkest, and yet the brightest thought lived there: Death. Death was the only constant in my life, the only friend who welcomed me with open arms. Death, my friend.

Death and the Dead, my friends.

I extended a tendril of thought to them, then focused on me. Me dying. I remembered Cleo's warning to tell her before I "joined the land of the dead." To me they were more the land of the living then the land of the dead.

"Cleo?"
"What's up, babe?" Aj, not Cleo, connected.
"Whatever. Just tell Cleo I'm gonna go die. See ya in a bit. Or, maybe you'll, you know, die." We both laughed, which is possibly the closest we've gotten to "bonding" time.
"Have fun. And tell Mr. S. I'll be seeing him."
"Haven't gotten your money yet?"
"That double-crosser! We made a bet. We shook on it." He was panting, but still laughing.
"Ya dying over there, too?"
"Maybe. He's got...a...few...more goons...than I exp....expected."
"Well, ya know, sweetie, brains were never your best asset. All right, see ya later. Oh, and tell Cleo before you go off and die. Last time I thought she'd kill you. Literally."
"Gotta go!"

I resumed my thoughts. To be more specific, my thoughts about how I was going to kill myself. I focused hard, the thought of death constantly running through my head. Die, die, die… I felt the familiar sensation of blacking out. And then everything went black, just as I heard the audio crackle to life.

"Fox! Stay with us…don't you even think about dying, young lady."

Cleo.


**********

"Welcome back, Fox." Two figures stood over me. I sat up, tired. 
"And you would be?"
"The D.E.A.D."
"Could tell. You look awful." They did. When you die, you enter the Land of the Dead (LOD) exactly as you died. One had an axe stuck in his head and wore a ripped, faded, bloody uniform of the Civil War, even though he couldn't be more than twenty. The other was  middle aged, sporting a workmen's uniform. He walked with a limp, so I supposed he was in a work related accident, probably a ladder falling on him. 
"No, not dead. D. E. A. D. Dead's Elite Association of Death. Spell DEAD when you line it all up, first letters," The Civil War guy said.
"Ah." Not a very bright fella, is he. 
"Ms. Fox, we require you to come with us," The workman said. He helped me up, then set a protective hand on my back. We walked a little ways, to the entrance of the castle. You enter the dead where you died. 
"Who lives here?"
"People, of course!" The Civil War dude said with a laugh.
"Ah. I see." For a split second I met his eye, and I detected a hidden emotion hidden in them. Sadness?
"By the way, that is Six and I'm Twenty-nine."
"Oh, I'm thirteen."
"Those are our names." Duh, Fox. 

By that time we had reached the gate. A tall guard in a crimson uniform of the British halted us, then slowly let us pass, with many suspicious looks. The two led me through hallways and up stairs till we reached the library. 

There, perched on one of the bookshelves was Mr. S. He was standing on one of the shelves, his pudgy hands reaching for a high up book. He slipped, sliding perfectly into the sofa. His circle-rimmed glasses slipped off of his fat face, and his thin lips formed an 'O.' His tweed suit barely stayed on his fat body. His hair thin greasy hair was uncut and ragged. 

"Oh my! I seem to have taken a fall!" You would not expect the shrill, quiet British voice to come out of this huge man.
"'Ello Mr. S.” Twenty-nine said. With a wave, Mr. S dismissed his men.
"There you are, Fox," he continued when they had left, "I've been waiting for you. You see…"
"So. You're head of an organization now. What, you a…politician? A king? Or, just a common man representing the people? Hmm?"

He ducked his head sheepishly, then answered.

"You'll be extremely glad to know I told them my real identity. A simple....emperor of all the galaxies."
"And then the 'elected' you?” I made my voice gush with sarcasm.
"My dear, you understand me perfectly." he looked genuinely pleased.
"You still owe Aj money."

He ignored this last comment and instead reaches for a phone, dating from the 40s.

"Jack? Yes. Mhmmm. Send him in."
The door creaked loudly as a massive hand pushed it open. A tall well-muscled man stood up straight and stared unreserevedly at Mr. S.
"Fox, meet Captain Barrow. Barrow, Fox."
"Please, call me Ollie." he said extending his hand. I shook it.
"Now, Oliver is a," he leans forward toward me as if someone can hear, "a Plan A. You know how it goes, retired early."
This news shocked me, and I inspected the Cap closely. He was tall, muscular, and tanned. The plain black uniform of the 2nd Generation Empire suited his brown eyes and brown hair. I caught his eye, and he winked at me. I blushed, and silently prayed no one noticed.
"So, Fox. The universal legend." He began approaching me slowly, summing me up. "The pinnacle of agility, strategy, and," he paused, inches from my face. "Mystery. The oh-so mysterious initiate of Plan A. It is a pleasure to meet you." I stepped away, wary he knew me. Then again, I am a war hero.
"Thank you?"
Cap examined me closely, his bright green eyes laughing. The creep. Yet I stil found myself stammering.
"How...uh, how...did, you, um....know...that much about....me?"
Ollie tuned away to Mr S, his hands in his pockets.
"I'm sorry, but you didn't tell me she was a stammerer. I don't work with stammerers."
"You're kidding right? No one says that kind of stuff anymore.” Mr S said pleadingly.
"Excuse me? Did you just call me a stammererer? A stammer...-er? Really?"
The captain turned around.
"Got a problem with that?"
"Oh dang, you're worse than Aj." I sat down at Mr. S's desk and banged my head against it several times. Why is it always me who gets stuck with the prats?! 
"Well, I'm sure you'll get along." Mr S said, trying to pacify us.
"We'll get along jolly well, Mr. S, if I don't have to work with him."
"We do, so we will. I'll go get ready." He left the room.

Mr. S paused, then came over and rested his hands on the desk, looking tired and worried.

“Why are you here, exactly?" He asked.
"Need some help. You know, a power boost."
Mr. S gritted his teeth.
"I'm afraid I can't do that."
"Excuse me?" I stood up now, alarmed. "You always give Plan A's power boosts. So we can protect the Earth, remember? We are their only hope and that sorta thing."
"Not this time, I'm afraid. You see, with each power boost you become closer to the Dead. Eventually you'll reach a point where you will be dead. Permanantly. Plan A is supposed to train you, to ween you off the dead. Train you to be independent."
"But..The Dead is part of me. That's like saying….slice half your brain off and deal with it. To be honest I don't care if I…die forever, I die thousands of times a day."
"But the world needs you. The world contains secrets. And if secrets could kill, these would. An army, led by Mr. Leer is approaching…Earth."
I sucked in my breath.
"Aliens."

All he did was nod. We'd had an alien attack before. Swarms of faceless, melting, aliens attacking people, converting them to aliens. It had terrible results. The result: Only one place on Earth is safe, New Haven. And people like me were created, Plan A's.

Plan A's: the people supposed to kill, hunt, and destroy aliens or alien partners. Trained for killing. Injected with serums, thousands a day, to ready them for alien attacks. Only the serums had unexpected results. The Plan A's couldn’t be converted to aliens. Somehow the compostition of the serum made it so we could die, and come back to life. The Dead then saw they could use us as ambassadors, diplomats. They inject us with what they call "power boosts." It gives us super human abilities, Dead abilities.

The Dead can't die. They simply grow back. If an arm is cut off while they are Dead, another grows in it's place. It's like being immortal, only you can die permanatley one day. The power boosts bring you closer to the Dead, to staying dead. Humans and Dead alike have to much at stake to risk us staying dead.

Sometimes I feel as if I lead two different lives, one in New Haven and one in Death. But they are so closely tied, they overlap. Whenever I think I could live in New Haven, something happens that calls me back to the Dead. Then, after I think I could stay in death for all eternity, something on Earth calls me back. This is how I feel now.

A cold finger sweeps up my back, caressing my neck, tickling my arms. My thoughts are frozen, all I can think about is Earth. Something is wrong. My thoughts drift to Aj and Cleo. Someone has to warn Plan A.

"Right then. If you won't give me a power boost, give me someone who can throw me."
 As if on cue, Captain Oliver walked into the room, dressed in identical clothing to me, wearing a black mask, and carrying a sword. He walked over to me and handed me something wrapped up in black cloth.

"Transmitter. To D.E.A.D. Use it if you are in trouble. Then they can expect you and get you out as soon as possible." I put it in my pocket, then said my goodbyes to Mr. S.

Then my thoughts focused long and hard on living. A cool breeze brought chill bumps to my arms, and fog clouded my vision.

*********

"Funny place for Mr. Leer to be hidin' out in. Leeds castle. Long ago it was a historic site. Guess now it's alien headquarters."
"Mhhm. Interesting." I drawled out the sylaballs.
"Fox! Fox! Thank God you're still alive. No more power boosts. Aliens…" Aj cut in.
"Yeah. Thanks for the download. Mr. S told me about it. Got another Plan A for ya. Captain Oliver. Aj, you'd like him."
"Shut it, Fox."
"Why? It's true! You and him are like idententical."
"Mm. Unimpressed face."
"Darling? Oh Fox! Thank God you are all right! I tried to warn you, but…" Cleo interjected.
"Yeah. Bit of an urgent matter at hand, right?"
"Yeah. And I assume you have the old Cap with ya?"
"Duh. And he's just like Aj." Everyone laughed, including Ollie.

I saw Aj running towards us. That prideful weasel. Just comes running so he gets the credit. He and the Captain formally shook hands and exchanged a few pleasantries. Then they both boosted me up to the window.

"K, on the count of three, jump! One....two....three!" I jumped, my fingers grasping the window sill. I pulled myself up, and kicked out the glass. I rolled into the hallway. A servant stared at me, dropping the plate he was carrying. I threw one of my knives at him as he turned to run.

Aj appeared over the window, and he hoisted Ollie up. Dang, I was hoping at least one of the Punch and Judy's would have to stay outside.

"Miss me?" Aj asked as he literally tripped up to me. Ollie just sorta strode past us and flipped his hair in my general direction. I clenched my fists to keep from saying something I would regret. Pulling out my locater Cleo gave me, I plugged in the coordinates for the library.

There were three exists. Two were not unlocked. I sent Ollie to one to lock it, while Aj and I sneaked to the other exit. All the way there, Aj and Ollie were making jokes that are oh-so typical of Aj.

"Hey, babes, what did the chicken say to the macho guy?"
"Is your name....wait for it....Aj?" Cue eye rolling, I thought grimly to myself.
"And then...the guy said to the chicken, is your name....hold your applause....Fox?"
"I thought so!" Aj interjected. Both laughed.
"Hey! Let me tell you a story," I interrupted, just to spare me the pain of hearing one more of their lame jokes, "Once there were these to bozos who had no brains because aliens ate them. Then there was this really smart girl who knew they had no brain and told them so. Then she told them to grow a moustache and so they did. The end."

They finally shut up after many a, "Ohhhhh! Burn!" comments.

By this time we had reached the door, and when Ollie assured us he was at the right door, we entered. Not one of those stealth, ninja-style entries, but more of a superhero "look at me!" kinda entrance. Mr. Leer looked straight at us, our drawn swords, and knives and said boredly, "Finally! I thought dinner would never come."

I sneaked a look at Aj. His face was that of shock, completely deflated and a bit kooky eyed.

Mr. Leer slowly approached us. He was literally a stick man, with an unusually pudgy face. Mr. S in his prime, I thought to myself. Mr. Leer had his hands folded behind his back, and when he withdrew them, he had a sword. Uh, actually two swords.

"Well, finally. I thought Plan A would never find out. You know, it's no fun being a genius and no one to know. I need an audience. Last time was a complete fail, since no one knew it was me. Though I did get credit for inventing these swords." he looked his sword up and down and continued, "yes, I invented the only sword to work on aliens, the Dead, and Plan A's.  A much more advanced Excalibur, yes? And now, children, see you...later." Two men melted into view. They pulled off their masks, revealing the scarred face of an alien.

********

Hope ya'll enjoyed! And sorry it was out so late. I went to Leeds Castle in November, and it’s now January…..Ah well, so is the life.

This one actually required tons of reading throughs and editing sessions and plot reworks, and I have no idea why it was so hard for me to write something like this. Let me know if it was awful or something!

Happy Writing!
Scarlet






5 comments: